Sunday, May 22, 2016

Final Reflection


     Now that it's almost the end of eight grade, I have learned many things in this English Language Arts class from the three years I've been in it. One of the three most important things that I learned this year was my time management. In this class, or in any class; it can be hard to keep up with your work if you don't mange your time wisely. I have forgotten many times to do a certain assignment, but I learned from those mistakes to fix them, and get back on track.
     Also, in this class I learned to pay more attention to what is surrounding me in my life. People usually tend to only care about what goes on close to them; but not all around them. While we learned and researched about many different topics, I found out about international problems and events. The last major thing that I learned in this class was to know that the only person to indict for something that happened is yourself. This was an important lesson to remember because when you make mistakes, you try to blame it on others; when most of the time you are the one to blame.

     Something that we did this year was read the book Tuesday's With Morrie, and I think that I will remember it for the rest of my life. This is because it was a very strong and effective book and had many life lessons in it. When I read it, I found it very impacting, and I think that it will surely be difficult to forget those aphorisms.

     This year, I think that the nicest thing that someone's done for me was not really specific. There was a couple of different moments where people went out of their ways to be nice to me, but there isn't a specific thing or person in mind. Some nice things that people have done for me was to explain something that I didn't understand, or hold the door open for me. There was a lot of little things that people do for me that I can remember.

     I believe that one thing I taught my classmates this year was to work towards your goals. The reason I think this is because one goal I had was to speak more often in the Socratic seminars that we had in class. When we did our third Socratic seminar for the book Tuesday's with Morrie, I started it off with a question. This made me reach my goal because I didn't only get to speak, but I got the chance to start one off. I think that I demonstrated this to the rest of the class.

     The area that I feel I made the most improvements in was my writing and my vocabulary. I got a lot of help with my writing recently when we did our comma lessons, and just reviewing it (our writing) in general. I think that writing my argumentative essay really helped me practice with my writing. A huge part of writing is vocabulary, and I have improved with it by studying words and having tests.
     The butterfly project is an accomplishment that I am most proud of because it took me a lot of thinking and time to make, and I think it turned out pretty good. I'm content with this project because I think that it's the best and most detailed thing that I did this year.

      The most challenging part of this year for me was just trying to keep on top of all of my work. I usually have a problem with time management, but recently in 4th quarter, I've been getting way better with it. During this last quarter of the school year, I got better finishing everything, while getting less falcon fouls as well.

      My best piece of writing would probably be my Argumentative Writing essay. I think that this was the best because I really tried hard to write it, and if turned out as a better piece of writing, since I actually cared about the topic (animals). It was pretty lengthy, and I believe I was okay at executing my argument.

     I think that my favorite book that I read this year was Tuesday's With Morrie because it shows a lot of key messages in life. This book makes you look at your life in a different perspective and I think that it teaches a lot of lessons. I especially thought it was an interesting book since it was nonfiction.

     My advice for the students coming into eighth grade next year would be to manage your time wisely. It is important to keep an organized schedule to get all of your work done when it is due. When you don't keep up with the things that you have to do, it'll all add up and it's hard to get back to the top. Lastly, I would just say to not stress about things too much, and have fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment