Thursday, February 4, 2016

Berlin Memorial Activity 2/3/16

From the Berlin Memorial activity that we did in class today; I learned that many Non-Aryans, especially Jews; lost most of their rights when the Nuremberg Laws took place. First, they lost their privileges of enjoyment such as sports or choir. Then, they all started losing their jobs and couldn't even graduate! When 1938 came, everything started to go bad; it was the year the Kristallnacht took place and thousands of Jews were put into concentration camps. They were starting to be banned from going to the movies, to swim, operas, concerts, and much more. As well as that, they had to be identified with a "J" on their passports and had to hand in drivers licenses.

     I think that the Berlin Memorial Monumnet was built to remember all the innocent people that died in the Holocaust from 1938-1945. It really helps to remember the people who didn't deserve to die; also in the Berlin Memorial, many of the people's names are listed. It's called the "Place of Information".
     I noticed that the number of the Nuremberg laws increased a lot in certain years. One of the years that there was many, many laws that were new, was in 1938. This was because that same year, it was "The Night of the Broken Glass", or Kristallnacht, and that's when Jews were put into concentration camps. The other year that had many laws come into place was in 1942; in 1942, Berlin was bombed during WWII. Lastly, there was only one law in 1945 since this was the year that Germany surrendered and the war ended in May. The law read; "Official acts documenting anti-Jewish actions are to be destroyed. 2/16/45"

    One of the restrictions that I think I would have the most trouble dealing with is the law against having pets because I have a dog right now and I know that I wouldn't want to give my dog away. Also, another law that would be really hard to deal with is is to label myself with a yellow star saying "Jew"; because I would not want to physically label myself like that and I would probably not follow that law which would be bad. Then, the last one that I think would be hard to deal with is not getting to use public transportation because I wouldn't get to go anywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment