Thursday, May 21, 2015

Paradoxes and Dreams 5/21/15

                "We truly believe ourselves to be natural-born mechanics and do-it-yourself-ers."

     I picked this quote from "Paradox and Dreamby John Steinbeck and it stood out to me because I find this to be true. It means that people think that they can fix anything or do anything they want; when they actually can't. An example that was in the text was where it said, "We spend our lives in motor cars, yet most of us- a great many of us at least - do not know enough about a car to look in the gas tank she the motor fails." I found this as a really good example because now that everything is more futuristic and we have more technology, people don't know as much as they used to on how to fix things when they are broken, or other things like that. Most people in the present would just look it up on Google. 

     I have seen this quote many times in real life and there are a lot of examples you can see. I've seen it when I use Google when I type in a question, and other ones pop up about different people's problems. I had this experience myself when I go on a question/answer website. People are now relying on other people from the internet for their own problems, now even their health issues! I've actually seen some people asking this questions about their health instead of actually going to the doctor.  One example is if a person would accidentally do something to their phone; they would look it up on google how to fix it. All this happens when a lot of people are bragging about knowing how to do many things. This just proves how much this quote is true. 

"We shout that we are a nation of laws, not men - and then proceed to break every law we can if we can get away with it."

     This is another quote that stood out to me and I found it to be very interesting. It basically is saying that we believe in the laws and enforce them, but if we find a chance to break one, we do it anyways. There has been way too many times that I've seen some examples of this. I find this quote to be very powerful because it is really true.

     A lot of times that I've seen these examples are on T.V; especially on reality T.V. One day I was watching this show called Beyond Scared Straight where kids go to jail for a day to see how it is. Everyone in the show says why they are there and a lot of the girls said that they always steal things from the store. One of them said; she only does it because she has gotten away with it many times and her room is filled with stolen jewelry and dresses. This is just one of the examples as stealing, but a lot of people break the law when they can get away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment