Thursday, May 14, 2015

Of Mice and Men - The Movie 5/11/15

Prompt - (Section III and IV) What does the flashback show? How does the flashback leave the audience feeling at the end of the movie? Does that feeling match the feeling at the end of the book? Why do you think the director chose to use a different ending rather than just showing exactly what's in the book? What is the line of dialogue that ends the book? What does that line tell us about the speaker? What feeling does that leave the reader with? How does it make you feel when he says that? What are your general thoughts, feelings, reactions of Of Mice and Men? What had the most profound impact on you or your understanding of the novella? Who would you recommend this book to and why?

     The flashback at the end of the movie shows George and Lennie walking (away) together in the field. It kind of shows that they are free from work and they are going to live their dream. The flashback leaves the audience feeling probably sad and disappointed because they never got their happy ending now that George killed Lennie and George was on his own. The feeling of the movie doesn't really match the feeling at the end of the book because in the book, the feeling was sort of incomplete because the author mentioned that George left with Slim but they never showed the reactions of the rest of the people. I think that the author chose to end the movie differently than the book because he probably wanted the movie to end in a flashback to make the feeling/tone stay with the movie instead of just bringing in the rest of the characters while leaving it on a cliffhanger and ruining the mood.

     The line of dialogue that ends the book is when Carlson says to Curley, "Now what the hell do you suppose is eatin' them two guys?" This line tells us that the speaker (Carlson) didn't understand why George and Slim were sad about Lennie because it's showing that back then, ranchers didn't really care about each other or if they died. Also, it shows that Carlson didn't even know how it felt to have a dream or ambition with someone and then have it ruined. It basically symbolized that him and Curley couldn't imagine the pain that George (especially) and Slim were going through. The last line leaves the reader feeling bad because the ending was really sad and it ended up in a cliffhanger. It made me feel bad for all the characters because I didn't know what was going to go on in their futures.

     I actually liked the book Of Mice and Men and I didn't expect to enjoy it because I thought it would be difficult but it actually wasn't. It was interesting to me and I think that it had a good ending even though I wanted to know more about what would happen after. The part that had the most profound impact on me was when Carson shot Candy's dog just because it was old. This impacted me because I really like animals and this showed me how back then, dogs, or animals in general weren't treated as good as they are now; or at all! I would recommend this book to anyone or everyone (of course who is old enough to understand it) because it's a good book, and I, myself liked it.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog Giovanna! I like how you used textual evidence from the book to back up your reasoning.

    ReplyDelete