Thursday, November 13, 2014

Eclipse 11/10/14

Prompt 1 - Analyze the impact word choice has on the meaning or tone of a text.

     In my personal opinion, I think that the book Eclipse has very good word choice. Word Choice in books is something that makes the book a lot more interesting. In this series, they (the author) are every descriptive.

     One part that had good word choice that made the mood/tone clearer was on page 9. "I felt my face harden. "What about him?" I asked through stiff lips." The mood here was nervousness in the atmosphere. I know this because it shows that Bella wasn't expecting to talk about this topic (Jacob) and was nervous to talk about him with her dad.

     A section that impacted the text was "My former best friend who was now... what? My enemy? I cringed. Charlie's face was suddenly wary. ... "Well, it's about Edward too" My eyes narrowed. Charlie's voice got gruffer." This was on page 10 and it was all directly telling us how they felt which helped make the text better. The tone here was confused because Bella didn't even know who Jacob was to her anymore and Charlie didn't know why Bella didn't want to talk about Jacob.

Prompt 2 - Analyze how dialogue or specific incidents reveal information about characters. Make sure to include textual evidence.

     In Eclipse, one scene that revealed something about one of the characters (Charlie) was on page 18. "Good evening, Charlie." Edward was always flawlessly polite, though Charlie didn't deserve it. Charlie grunted at him, and then stood there with his arms crossed over his chest." This clearly showed that Charlie (Bella's dad) disliked Edward.

     Another part that revealed something about Charlie was when on page 15 he wanted Bella to spend more time with Jacob. "And then you were always so happy after spending the day with Jake."(Jacob) Charlie sighed. "I'm happy now." I growled fiercely through my teeth. The contrast between my words and tone broke through the tension. Charlie burst into laughter, andI had to join in. "Okay, Okay," I agreed. "Balance." "And Jacob" he insisted." This section showed how much Charlie like Jacob and encouraged Bella to talk to him again.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment